|Where does the liberal me end and the conservative begin?|
A good legal system is both liberal and conservative. Most people are, as well. This is worth remembering as those of us at either end of the political spectrum continue to punch each other silly in the run-up to next year’s elections.
- gay marriage
- a woman’s right to an unrestricted abortion
- tax-supported public-works programs, unemployment benefits, and welfare disbursements for the poor such that everyone has access to a respectable job, a living income, free public education, sufficient food, and free health care
- a 50% or higher tax rate on all individual earnings beyond, say, $200,000 per year, to help pay for the above programs
- a minimum 35% tax rate on capital gains
- strong worker unions
- a higher minimum wage keyed annually to inflation
- strong environmental-protection, consumer-protection, women-protection, minority-protection, disability-protection, worker-protection, and elderly-protection laws
- taxes on property owned by religious institutions
- an end to prayer at government events and to the word “God” on money
- an end to the saying of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools.
|A famous set of conservative laws.|
|Traffic laws are conservative and liberal.|